The main educational aims of the programme include:
- Provision of training in topics representing current state-of-the-art developments in electrical power engineering, including modern approaches to the analysis of properties, dynamics and limitations of power networks, machines and converters, advanced numerical methods in application to: electrical power engineering problems across various scales; power conversion, transmission, distribution and end-use processes; emerging technologies; cross-disciplinary areas.
- Development of conceptual and analytical skills for the critical evaluation of the current scientific literature in specialized topics within the electrical power engineering realm.
- Appreciation of the significance of the electrical power system in a wider context including its economic and social development aspects.
- Provision of training in teamwork, innovation and scientific communication.
- Development of skills in the planning and execution of a tailored research project, which would produce original scientific outcomes suitable for publication in a peer reviewed journal.
- Fostering of the ability to work autonomously, and critically assess results in the context of the current state-of-the-art within a particular area.